Pages

Translate

Sunday, November 23, 2014

House Rules for My OD&D Campaigns

The house rules thread is interesting for me for several reasons, one I am going back and looking at every house rule that I have ever had, thought about, tried in a game or not, whether it was used only once or on an ongoing basis. On here I will also be commenting on what kind of house rules I do (what is acceptable and what is not) and what things are so "new school" that I will not even entertain trying them in a game. Some things just break the experience and I will go over some of those things here. I am also in the process of reviewing updating the house rules I am going to use going forward from here. 

My current situation is this, I have had prostate cancer surgery (successful) and I am in the recovery period from that (physical therapy, etc.) so at the moment I am not reffing, I am taking a rare opportunity to play instead. One of my players who previous experience was with RuneQuest and has never played OD&D or any D&D for that matter until about 9 months ago is now having his first go at reffing OD&D. He is playing it mostly by the book although he has a "story" and a "mission" that we are involved in. While it is not something that I would ref myself, we have enough freedom of action in the game that I am enjoying myself immensely and we played yesterday for 6 hours straight.

While I have never experienced the "burnout" I have heard other speak of it is always refreshing and revitalizing to play, especially when it is usually years between opportunities.

So down the road, likely months, I will eventually be posting my newest and latest house rules at a much later point in the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment