Pages

Translate

Sunday, December 7, 2014

OD&D and the PC Death Rules

What are the death rules in your campaign? Are you happy with way you run it? And are your players happy with the way you run it? Are you more lenient that you would otherwise be to make everyone happy?

Bitd we played it that at 0 HPs you were dead as dead could be, end of the story until you got a cleric to a high enough level to change the playing field. Now, as I mentioned elsewhere, we currently play it as follows: when a PC gets to 0 HPs (actually 0 to -10HP) we rule that you are unconscious and bleeding, the Ref rolls a d12 and whatever the result is the other PCs have that many melee rounds to start administering at least first aid or the PC is dead. However, if the roll on the d12 is a 1, then the PC is dead because there is not enough time (6 sec melee rounds) to start first aid.

My preference would be to run it the same as we did bitd, but I don’t have strong feelings about it, since one: it makes all the players happy and two: they gain no advantage since they take more risks and as a result die just as much and as often as if we did it the old way.

How do you run it in your campaign?

Tim Kask wrote:

In the true sense of the original game, 0 HP meant you had failed to avoid a mortal blow. You were dead. How long you had before the stiff got ripe was up to each DM and the ambient temperature of the adventure.

This is how we played it bitd and not one player ever questioned or complained about it back then. Currently I implemented my house rule as detailed above simply because it does not really help them at all, but it gives them the illusion that they have been helped and it completely eliminates questions or complaints, but I would prefer the original way. At least it does not really make them die less often, because players always use every bit of rope that you give them. I implemented this house rule because not everyone comes from an old school background and even those that do have largely been corrupted (no offense intended) on this issue over the years.

4 comments:

  1. Hit zero hit points and below? Get out 3d6 because you're character is dead. Level drains works as advertised. You don't get critical hits. Your hit points are whatever you rolled. And you can shove your "shields shall be splintered" rule. I don't game with pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are not into house rules and not into trying different things you are quite welcome not to game with us. I personally don't like to game with anyone who is a btb and no other options allowed type, i.e. a rules lawyer. I have played it both ways. It works out the same in the end. Whether they die at zero HPs or something else, they gain no advantage, you could double their hit points and they would still die just as fast. Players always take more risks if they "think" it is safer, but in reality it is not safer so they die just as fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, "Death" rules. This is an interesting topic.

    Over at the OD&D74 proboards, I play in a few PbP games that have differing views on how to handle it. Some have what you might call 'lenient' houseruling so you *might not* die when you reach 0 hp; One game doesn't... If you are 0hp you are dead and that's that.

    For myself, I'm fine either way. While I do enjoy the use of intelligently placed houserules, I am also more than fine with playing with the mindset of 'you must suffer the consequences of your actions' that I think is pretty much lost today. I really think that many games produced today are more inclined to hand the players victory on a silver platter, than to let them die off because they made a mistake or poor decision. I don't care for that style of play.

    I do prefer 3d6 down the line for stats, and things like that, but I don't mind houseruling. I don't use variable weapon damage, but do allow a houserule that I found online by a great DM that states that two-handed weapons add 1 to the damage roll and 'dual-wielding' a weapon in each hand offers +1 to an attack roll; Small things like that, that add options to players but don't give them the farm right off the bat.

    For death? I'm on the fence: It would depend on the group. I would greatly prefer death at 0 hp. It's too easy to roll another character, and that sort of finality really puts it in the players mind that they need to try to make better decisions (and thus, grow as a player). But, some people are different and really, really get into a character. I don't agree those people have a *right* to get that character to 12th level; They need to earn it, but at the same time, I don't mind making small adjustments.

    At 0hp, I might call that 'immobilized' or 'incapacitated'; Characters can crawl and beg for help but that's about it. No attacking, no spellcasting, barely any movement until 'first aid' or magical healing is offered. Considering OD&D, I might let a character 'go negative' on hit points in a variety of ways, to keep it VERY low and thus still deadly. Say, you can 'go negative' one point below zero for each hit die you have (this benefits fighting men) or maybe one point in the negative for every 3 character levels you have (to even the field). But, once you've crossed that boundary, it's time to grab a new sheet of paper and a handful of d6's... You are dead, dead, dead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim,
    Great comments! The house rule I use above, they are unconscious at 0 HP or less and I prefer the 3d6 in order for stats nd I prefer death at 0 HP too, but like you I try different things. All my current campaigns I follow the method in the book where the Ref rolls up the PC. My players have been cool with that.

    ReplyDelete