Pages

Translate

Monday, January 12, 2015

OD&D and Taking a Look at Other Peoples Blogs - 005

Continuing with brief looks at other blogs in my blog list, here are several more than I find to be worthwhile reading, I hope you enjoy them too.

Aeons & Augauries
The author of this blog started playing in the 1970's and has a lot of useful posts. I don't agree with everything, but I seldom do. :)  His latest post is about skills and he has a pretty nifty write-up even though I just use ability checks. 

He does point out several things that require training. I would agree that calligraphy would require training, so in OD&D at character creation I can ask the player if there is anything they would like me to know about their characters past. If they tell me they are the prince and running away from home to adventure I hand him my dice that let you roll 1 chance in 10,000 and say make that role twice and you can have it. If the player said the character was apprenticed to a calligrapher for several years and when the man passed away his heir told me he didn't need me, hit the road or anything similar to that, I would say sure you can have that.

ChicagoWiz's RPG Blog
This blog closed down in November of 2011, and there is no easy index to click to a specific post, but if you dig into it a ways there is some really good stuff here.

Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets-An oldschool gaming blog….
This is ancient vaults (aka bät) blog and right now he is posting new magic items and new spells. 

Zombiecowboy's Game Blog
Check this out, it is very good. I like his post "10 Books That Should Be On Your Bookshelf " and his picture of what he wishes his Man Cave looked like. This blog is nearly 4 years old and has some good stuff spread over that time period.


Delta's D&D Hotspot
This blog has been around for just under seven years and it is chock full of old school goodness, again not that I agree with him all time either. :)


6 comments:

  1. Actually, AV&ES isn't ChicagoWiz's blog, he is a great guy and all, but I've been writing it since 2009....

    bät

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, I misunderstood who the author was, I have edited the post above and thank you for calling it to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No harm done! Thank you for the mention! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blog lists are really helpful - thanks for taking the time to post them. I find it pretty hard to keep track myself, so it's great that someone else is doing some of the heavy lifting!

    ReplyDelete