Pages

Translate

Saturday, January 3, 2015

OD&D Races & Classes for PCs & NPCs 008

As I have been looking at Races and Classes and as I have been re-writing things like the Paladin, Ranger, Bard and Thief(Scout) I have been considering many different things. One is allowing half-elves to be in the game and another is perhaps doing yet another re-write of the humanoid monsters (orcs and such). 

Along with this, I am thinking of re-writing the three core OD&D classes of Fighting-Men, Magic-Users and Clerics so that they will have distinct advantages that the subclasses do not in order to more fully offset the advantages that the subclasses have.

I will first need to finish the Scout write-up and then start work on the core classes.  Core classes, now there is a non-old school term. :)

As part of this process I will also need to write a better description of Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Hobbits and Halflings. What I am currently thinking of for PC classes (Lawful and Neutral) are as follows: Fighting-Men are open to all races; Magic-Users open to Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, and Gnomes; Clerics open to Humans and Dwarves; Paladins open only to Humans; Rangers open to Humans, Elves, Half-Elves and Hobbits; Bards open to Humans, Elves, and Half-Elves; and Scouts open to Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, and Hobbits. I think I will also write-up a Dungeoneers class open only to Dwarves.

Classes open only to NPCs will be the Evil High Priest (i.e. the Chaotic anti-cleric) open only to Humans and the Thief (Chaotic) open to Humans, Half-Elves, Halflings, the rare renegage Elf. There will also be Chaotic Fighting-Men and Chaotic Magic-Users which are also reserved for NPCs.

These are some of my plans as things stand at this moment. As usual suggestions and comments are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment